Reddit Users Share Their Top Money-Saving Tips and People Online Find It Brilliant
Redditors Whip Out The Best Financial Hacks To Save Money & The Internet Thinks It’s Genius Advice
01. Be Smart About Entertainment
It might surprise you, but a lot of your unnecessary expenses often stem from entertainment desires. Going to the latest movies, buying best-seller books as soon as they hit the stands or downloading new video games can put a significant dent in your budget. A smarter approach would be to capitalise on free or low-cost forms of entertainment.
Instead of rushing to the cinema each time a new flick comes out, why not consider other viewing platforms? Online subscriptions might bring you the same entertainment right at home and for less cost. Similarly, opt for used books or library memberships to save money on reading material. Video games too depreciate over time, so waiting a while might mean significant savings, without compromising on the fun.
Here’s what one early savvy saver pointed out:
“My pals always wondered how I manage to keep up with all the latest shows, books and games, yet never seeming to have a tight squeeze on my budget. Little do they know, it’s all about timing and making smart choices!”
- Stream films instead of going to the cinema.
- Choose used books or get a library card.
- Wait for sales before purchasing video games.
- Consider art-catching options: many museums have days when admission is discounted or even free.
- Take advantage of free community events like concerts, plays, and sporting events.
- In lieu of paid fitness memberships, find workouts online or take up jogging/biking in nature spots.
02. Learn to DIY
DIY or “Do It Yourself” can be your saving grace on multiple fronts. Not every problem around the house needs professional intervention. Sometimes, the solution isn’t nearly as complex as you might think, and with a few instructions or tutorials, you can handle it on your own.
The internet offers a wealth of knowledge for almost any problem you might face, from simple plumbing and electrical fixes to even furniture assembly. Over time, these small savings add up into a substantial amount.
“When the sink got clogged one weekend, instead of calling the plumber right away and shelling out a chunk of money, I decided to give it a try by myself. Found an instructional video on unclogging sinks, followed it step by step and voila! It cost me nothing but a bit of time.”
- Unclog drainage pipes using a plunger before calling a plumber.
- User manuals are your friends – Use them when assembling furniture or setting up appliances.
- Turn to YouTube for gardening tutorials instead of hiring professional landscapers.
- Cooking meals at home can save you significant dine-out costs.
- Regular cleaning and maintenance extend the life of appliances and prevent costly repairs.
- Sewing minor rips and buttons back onto clothes eliminates the need for a tailor’s service.
03. Consider Secondhand Purchases
A common misconception is that secondhand equals bad quality. In reality, many people sell items in excellent condition due to relocation, updates, or other personal reasons. Jumping on this opportunity could mean saving hundreds and thousands over time.
When considering this route, always remember to confirm the functionality and condition of used goods. Also, set boundaries for what you’re willing to buy secondhand – some items, like safety equipment or underwear, should still always be purchased new.
“Almost all my home appliances and furniture are secondhand purchases. People often comment on how nice my place looks, never guessing I saved a fortune decking it out!”
- Furniture, appliances and electronics can often be found in great condition at fraction of the price.
- Vintage clothes can add unique style to your wardrobe without breaking the bank.
- Used cars, when checked for functionality, can offer great quality for considerably less cost.
- Musical instruments are often sold at lower costs as many lose interest over time.
- Baby and maternity items have limited use-time and are frequently sold at affordable rates.
- Yard/garage sales, thrift shops, eBay and Craigslist are excellent platforms to buy secondhand goods.
|*Be Smart About Entertainment*||Cut down costs on entertainment by using cheaper alternatives||Stream films, buy used books, wait for video game sales|
|*Learn to DIY*||Save money on repairs and services by tackling tasks yourself||Unclog drains, assemble furniture, maintain home and appliances|
|*Consider Secondhand Purchases*||Buy used items in good condition to save majorly on shopping||Furniture, clothes, cars, musical instruments|