What Trump Should Do About the Russians, According to Physicians for Civil Defense
News| | By Jason Owen
TUCSON, Ariz., May 19, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — In all the recent discussions about Putin and the Russians, Americans need to remember the nature of the real threat from Russia, states Physicians for Civil Defense. “This threat has been there since the end of World War II: nuclear warheads delivered by air or space,” states Jane M. Orient, M.D. “Both the extent of the threat and the state of our defenses are worse.”
The Soviet Union had the most formidable nuclear arsenal on earth, she states, and Putin is continuing to modernize it. Now there is a growing threat from China and an imminent one from Iran. North Korea could soon launch a missile capable of delivering a warhead that could shut down the U.S. electric grid with an electromagnetic pulse (EMP). Rogue states could attack population centers with a suitcase bomb. “America has virtually no capacity to protect its people in the event of the ‘unthinkable,'” Dr. Orient states, “not even the most basic knowledge. Instead, people are terrified of tiny doses of radiation.” President Trump could take immediate actions that would signal determination to defend our homeland and could save millions of lives. Physicians for Civil Defense recommends:
- Education: Social media and government websites could tell people to “drop and cover” if they see a bright flash, and explain how to shelter from radioactive fallout.
- Harden the electric grid against EMP: The transformers could not be replaced, perhaps for decades.
- Enable the distribution of expedient safe/not safe radiation monitors: Low-cost technology developed by the Deptartment of Defense languishes. Protecting the manufacturer from threat of liability would enable rapid private distribution.
- Deploy fallout monitoring stations on important buildings: This is possible for less than $10,000. The White House and the Trump building in New York would be a good start.
- Diplomacy: The U.S. should avoid provocative action that could lead to accidental all-out war, as from confrontations with Russian warplanes in Syrian airspace. Open communication with world leaders is essential.
- Shore up American defenses: Are our air defenses around our capital and major cities better than on 9/11? Israel has an Iron Dome. The U.S. has no serious strategic missile defense of our homeland.
Donald Trump’s Fancy Cars
People love to collect cars. Old cars, new cars, red cars, and blue cars, it doesn’t really matter, when they have the financial means to do so, they can invest ...
click here to read more
Share On Facebook